Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sleep...

Spring time is right around the corner and that means it is time for the second annual sleep-less-a-thon at our house.  For the past three or four weeks, my twin daughters have been up for several hours every night.   Fortunately, Baby C is a solid sleeper and has managed to get more sleep than everyone else in the house combined.

One of the (cough) fun things about identical twins is that they tend to do things at the same time or very close to the same time.  The problems with sleeping seem to be no exception.  For the first few weeks, it was Twin A who was up every night for several hours.  She, of course, wakes up her twin, who is less than pleased at being awake.  Now, it is Twin B's turn to wake up every night.  She, of course, wakes up her sister, who is less than pleased at being awake.  See the pattern?

The only think more fun than one autistic temper tantrum in the middle of the night is two, self-reinforcing temper tantrums in the middle of the night.  Like the bunny from the commercials, they keep going and going and going...   I think I may have to invite people who think that autism is just a "difference" to my house at this time of the year and let them experience the "difference" for themselves.

I have to wonder at how many of the symptoms of autism can be caused or worsened by lack of sleep.  I know that after a few short weeks of this that my thought processes are sluggish and I am having a harder time focusing or paying attention.  I can't imagine what I would feel like after years of not sleeping well - and to have the processing trouble on top of lack of sleep would only make it worse.  I think I can understand why children with autism can be on the cranky side.

Regardless, it looks like the sleepless night are drawing to an end (oops, Twin B just woke up), so hopefully the Jabberwocky will resume shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment