Wednesday, September 2, 2009

An inspirational story

It isn't often that I run across a realistic story of someone succeeding in spite of autism that doesn't have a "see its just a difference" twist. So when I ran across this one I thought I would point it out.

Autism didn’t stifle his ambition
By ALEXA GARCIA-DITTA | Special to the Observer | The News & Observer

For the first 12 years of his life, Chris Fitzmaurice couldn’t sound out the letters of the alphabet.

He spoke in high-pitched screeches, didn’t make eye contact with others and wouldn’t hug his parents. Diagnosed with mild-to-moderate autism at age 2, Fitzmaurice’s communication was so limited that his doctor thought he would have a difficult time learning new things.

He proved everyone wrong.

Last month, the 23-year-old started graduate school at UNC-Charlotte.

“I made it a personal commitment of mine,” the Asheville native said. “A lot of people have college degrees; I want to do something big for everyone else.”

Read the rest at The Autism News

No comments:

Post a Comment